*To access all available languages from a Mobile phone switch to a desktop version in the browser settings, choose a desired language and switch back to a Mobile version. You only need to do it once.

Flute Forum

At The Babel Flute, we are committed to building a strong global flute community with many features and services that can be read in any language through our unique translation feature.

The Flute Forum is free and open to all flutists and flute lovers. Post and announce your events, new releases, start discussions, ask questions, use this great free tool to your advantage.

If you have a question about teaching or want to share your teaching experience, you can post it at the dedicated Crescendo Flute Forum for flute teachers. Flute students and learners are welcome to use, too.

Join our global flute community! Register or log in and start posting.

Notifications
Clear all

Combatting Negative Self Talk in Students

1 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Over the last few years I have noticed more and more students coming to me with ingrained negative self talk habits. Some examples of things I’ve heard recently include: “I sound terrible” “I’ll never learn this” and “other students sound better than me and I’ll never be good”. How have you helped your students learn to change their thought processes in lessons and the practice room so they are more positive and mentally healthy? 

1 Answer

Hi Nicole,  Yes I think this is a huge issue, especially since the Covid lockdowns. For students 12 and under I do stickers that say "Good Job" or "Super," or a similar encouraging sticker.  This little encouragement goes a long ways, and gives them a sense of accomplishment.  I also like to remind them have they would not have been able to play this piece or scale a few months ago.  Of course, we need to point out what needs to change or improve, but I always try to put it in an encouraging context.