*To access all available languages from a Mobile phone switch to a desktop version in the browser settings, choose a desired language and switch back to a Mobile version. You only need to do it once.

Flute Forum

At The Babel Flute, we are committed to building a strong global flute community with many features and services that can be read in any language through our unique translation feature.

The Flute Forum is free and open to all flutists and flute lovers. Post and announce your events, new releases, start discussions, ask questions, use this great free tool to your advantage.

If you have a question about teaching or want to share your teaching experience, you can post it at the dedicated Crescendo Flute Forum for flute teachers. Flute students and learners are welcome to use, too.

Join our global flute community! Register or log in and start posting.

Notifications
Clear all

Are there certain skills a student should know before we teach vibrato?

1 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I'd love to have a list of skill-based checkpoints that a student should know before teaching them vibrato! Too early might disrupt their tone and air direction, but too late might be harder to learn. Thank you!

1 Answer

I don't know that I have a specific list of skills that I want a student to have before introducing vibrato, but I am very interested in the tone development and air control. I find that students develop vibrato more naturally when I focus on helping them to have an open and relaxed sound. If a student is developing a natural vibrato I would encourage that, but I would wait to encourage a student with an underdeveloped tone to start on vibrato. Introducing vibrato prematurely can lead students to create tension in their throats and jaws to force vibrato to happen. When I see this, my first thought is that the student wasn't playing with an open and full sound before introducing vibrato, and so now they a underdeveloped sound and a tight forced vibrato. Also, the vibrato can act as a mask hiding the tone issues a student should be focusing on!

I look for a student to be consistently playing with a clear, open sound in all registers before really focusing on vibrato. Once I hear that, I think it is the perfect time to introduce vibrato, and I think the sound quality is much better in those scenarios.